The Bum
In anything other
than a ‘dog eat dog’ world
you’d probably like me.
Instead you suspect me.
Loathe, fear and ignore me
and say it’s what I choose
and when all is gone
you categorize me
with others the same
locked away
in prisons, asylums, and
those skid row alleys
where we drink and dream
of compassion without
a logo or a dollar sign.
Rent
I guess a perpetual recovery
sounds a lot better
than a great perpetual suck,
being the fools that we are
wishing on a star
the rent too doesn’t go up
but if it does, oh-well,
who can we tell
and who really gives a damn?
* * * * *
Oh great!
Wall Street is up again.
Reminds me of those
Who flaunt good health
In the midst
Of the sick and dying.
* * * *
I suspect
it’s the gaunt nation
that slips into
every dreaded recession.
Emaciated, long before
the fat disappeared,
in spirit and soul.
* * * * *
Oh great!
Wall Street is up again.
Reminds me of those
Who flaunt good health
In the midst
Of the sick and dying.
* * * *
I suspect
it’s the gaunt nation
that slips into
every dreaded recession.
Emaciated, long before
the fat disappeared,
in spirit and soul.
by Dave Holloway
A good message in these two poems Dave. Well written :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and commenting.
ReplyDeletesome lovely reflections.
ReplyDeletewell done,
"...where we drink a dream..." I especially like that line. Beautifully presented message, great write.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the comments.
ReplyDeleteinteresting read though I prefer the first, it gave voice to the voiceless and sought compassion for all :) Thanks for the reminder
ReplyDeleteHappy gooseberry day!!!
http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/legerdemain/
Wow amazing where we drink a dream this is so strong and I really like this so much
ReplyDeletehttp://gatelesspassage.com/2011/09/04/haggle-baggily/
Well, Said, and well written, Dave.
ReplyDeleteMy entry this week: http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/blood-on-the-moon-2/