Sunday, June 19, 2011

Alone

small dreams
and less hope,
futility embraces
the weary soul
with crooked finger
points the way to go

to the barren lands
where chiefs once stood
in reverent awe
of raptors flight
relinquishing all
in a noble fight

for what can’t be owned
 still goes unsold,
a majestic creature
worth more than gold,

a fragrance divine,
rivers without end,
I stand alone
cleansed by the wind


by Dave Holloway




3 comments:

  1. The first stanza just blew me away beautiful writing Dave. I love the pace too and the seamless rhymes, silky smooth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. For me it evoked the freedom and land lost by the American Indians. Don't know if that's what you intended, but that's where it took me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words.
    For the time being I live in the barren lands (Utah).

    ReplyDelete