Senior Community
I wonder the line
these towed forever,
now gather together
in club house halls.
Clamoring in slow mo
to calendar events
with intense interest
they form a line
dancing’s the hit
four times a month.
Poker two,
and crafts only one.
School yard thrills
in blue/grey curls,
skin worn
like oversized clothes.
Smiles denture bright.
Boney hands clasp.
Fragile is the word
they carry in hip
pockets with fear
of the final scene.
Alone and gasping
is the way it comes.
Old and Wise
If I live ten more years it will be a surprise.
If I live twenty more I just don’t know.
If I live another thirty I’d have to surmise
we live the majority of life old and wise
but if that’s true please tell me why
we still fall victim to so many lies.
The Slow Death
A slow death
we fear the most.
The drawn-out ordeal
where pain is the host.
Sucking up memories
unto itself,
clearing every corridor
and every last shelf.
Ending it ourselves
is considered a sin.
Confirming who rules
we’re reminded again.
these poems inspired by Dylan's "Not Dark Yet"
Each of these is so powerful and I love the issues aging and dying its a wide-spanning fear. The 4th stanza of the first one is amusing I admit :-P. I've joked with my husband that we must live to be 119 so we can be married 100 years, then we can die happily snuggled up in our sleep.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting. I like them.
ReplyDeleteDave / reminds of an artists study. Age and aging from different perspectives.
ReplyDeleteYour third poem almost answers an unspoken question in the first poem as well as the second.
Like the way you painted this ...