Saturday, November 24, 2012


In youth abides 
no point of reference 
so how can it know 
what’s been left behind 

and how can it miss 
waves of grain, fruited plain, 
or good from sea to sea 
when all it can see 

is what happens right now, 
forever the same  
since the day it was born
twenty or so,  years ago

in which half was a daze 
and the other half in class 
and knowing the past 
is just something memorized.

4 comments:

  1. I might be generalizing too much in this poem but in my quest for employment in a young person's world I find real life experience carries little weight and all I can think is it's just too young to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like the wording, for some reason it resonates w/me... youth - I gave up trying to compete in their world some time ago. Unfortunately, we don't live in a society that values wisdom & experience-there must be some place on earth, some tribe that does:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is such a place you can bet it will be found out, transformed and dumbed down in the name of profit and progress then it too can enjoy things like black Friday.

    ReplyDelete