Thursday, October 4, 2012




Bywords

Every decade all the way back
they cry the death
of the American dream.

A dream I never dreamt
thru all the monotony
of every job held,

every bill paid, every child born
I really can’t remember
ever dreaming

the American dream
nor do I know
what ‘middle class’ means.


* * * * *


The tin man 
all shiny and new 
pretends he really cares 
about me and you,

 with squeaky gesture  
he hides the king’s plan, 
an automated shell 
with a pen in each hand 

to sign away unobstructed 
every founding stone 
to sharpen the contrast 
and deafen the tone 

of passion


8 comments:

  1. He did look all shiny & new, didn't he? With a grin on his face pronounces he's going to cut PBS; this new, softer, kinder robot/rabbit. Roll the eyes. Big, soft, cuddly robot, carrying out his orders with a smile. ugh. They all "ooh and ahh" at his precision. "He did a great job. Sounds good to me" I hear them proclaim. I said "no thanks" I'll stick to the one already on the job...Good characterization! keep them coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to watch the debate but when he said gasoline prices have doubled under the Obama admin I thought what a bald faced lie then turned it off. Then I looked up average gas prices for four years and discovered it is strangely true. At the end of Bush's reign we were paying $4. a gal then the crash happened and prices dropped through the month of Nov to $1.61 a gal after Obama was elected then started rising sharply again to what it is today which still isn't as high as Bush's. So you see how cleverly he's blamed Obama for Bush's crash without actually lying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were a LOT of lies he told! He's the original "bait and switch" politician! All the things he's been saying about healthcare...now his views are eerily similar to Obama's. Obama was NOT prepared for the "new Romney"...definitely off his game. But he's back...today in Colorado. He'd better get up to speed for the next debate with the chameleon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I myself have ever experienced "the American dream" Except I strongly believe in education, though mine is mostly "self-taught" It would have been nice to have had more of the American dream. Didn't work out for me, but would have liked to given more to my children; that is my big regret. Never perfected the "middle class formula". It depends on stable marriages, stable jobs, stable economy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading Hunter Thompson's 'Kingdom of Fear' and he was sent to the '68' DNC to write a article about the death of the American dream and it occurred to me the death of that dream has been lingering around for a long time. Then it occurred to me the middle class is just a statistic. Like people rounded off to the lowest common denominator. Numbers.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check that book out...yeah, the Middle class, when I hear that term I think it's a joke. Numbers & statistics...who are they, really? I always say I came from a "working class-blue collar" upbringing and all my adult life I've been poor. Not poor in spirit, mind you, but income always in the poverty percentage. Funny how all of a sudden Romney is talking about the "middle class". He's sure doing the dance. Mr.Busy, Busy, Busy...he's going to do it all now. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to be in the middle class but never quite made it. I came close a couple times.
      Randi Rhodes just calls Romney a lying douchebag but she doesn't run any superpac ads on her show so she's allowed to be truthful.
      I was surprised to see the unemployment rate drop that much but of course it's never good enough for the crazies.

      Delete

  6. For sure. "it's a conspiracy" always, with that lot. I have listened to Randi Rhodes - she's pretty good - but she's not on every day, guess? "Dreams of Being in the Middle Class".. ha!

    ReplyDelete