When is too much too much?
Somewhere along the line
the final straw landed on the back
of our grand society
and there was a sickening crack
and it’s been breaking down
ever since
and nobody has the sense
to figure out what happened.
What was once a progressive
three steps forward and a half a step back
became a three steps forward, two steps back
and now it’s three forward and three back
and still
nobody knows what’s happening.
So we surround ourselves with bits and bytes,
digital this and digital that
and call it advanced or high technology
and for all anyone knows
it very well might have been the final straw.
...it's never going to be like it once was because what once was, was a dream, all propped up by the financial world, who continue to be the only ones who profit by the dream. (You have more poetic ways of saying it.)
ReplyDeleteI agree. Things can't ever be what they once were but that doesn't stop me from wishing they were but that's probably just an old person's thing.
ReplyDeleteI think most humans long for equity and fairness, but mostly simplicity...a time when things seemed simpler. I know I do.
ReplyDeleteYes, simplicity is what I yearn for too. It's like my poem, a straw is as simple as it gets but there are so many weighing us down and complicating every aspect of our life's and it's difficult to find any particular reason for all the madness.
ReplyDeleteIt's so complicated and distracting, this world we are creating. There's a good contribution on TED talks by a Canadian Spencer Ferri..."Is society too complicated"?" exactly what you're asking; we're all asking. Like the insurance ad w/guy on the roof, heavy w/snow...it eventually falls.
ReplyDeleteI like that commercial, mayhem...
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately we're all in for a pound when it comes to complicating life. We are way beyond the point of no return.
Personally I think the roof already caved in and we're viewing everything as it is mid fall. It might take 50-100 years to hit bottom but the falling or direction is perfectly clear.
By the way, cutting the cable was the best thing I ever did. I still get a limited amount of programming but all the bs goes down a whole lot easier free.
I used to say it was going to take years to get out of the mess G.W. created, but this administration is only adding more to the complication. Since I won't be around in 50-100 yrs. guess I won't experience that. Just the grandchildren...and they're so absorbed in their electronic paraphernalia, they won't know anyway. Good idea on the cable...simplicity.
ReplyDeleteG.W. might of been the final straw but i think it might go back to '63' in which we're well into the free fall soon to hit the bottom.
ReplyDeleteI see this administration taking over the wheel just before the car hit the fence like at Daytona yesterday.
No matter who took over the wheel, it was going to be a VERY BIG job to get us out of the ditch...have no idea why you cite '63 as a pivotal year...many say the 70s...suppose we could trace it all back to the founding fathers - chuckle chuckle...the teabaggers like to cite them for everything:-)
ReplyDeletePersonally I think the Kennedy assassination changed everything. The country's been in a slow decline ever since.
ReplyDeleteTo better explain what I mean:
ReplyDeleteAmerica’s strength was epitomized by the Cuban crisis, then the assassination, then a 10 year failure in Nam, then the resignation of a crooked president, then a couple of weak ones who introduced us to the insanity of the mid-east, then a movie star president who literally destroyed our economic system, then a president who destroyed our sense of morality, then a real crazy who started wars and thumbed his nose at the cost and now a smart one who doesn’t seem to know how to do anything but campaign. 50 years of a slow decline.
Like losing a loved one this country has never recovered but finds distractions it's best remedy.
ReplyDeleteGotcha! The assassination WAS the beginning of a decline, I agree; Vietnam deplorable...the 70s were a nightmare; Reagan ridiculous and on and on it went...was there ever a time of "sanity" in this country? You summed it up well.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I don't think 'sanity' plays much of a part in the rise and fall of empires and great nations.
ReplyDelete