Fifty
This is the last day of my forties.
Tomorrow I'm a half a century old.
Seems monumental in a way,
I would of denied it if told
I'd make it this far.
Hell, thirty was a surprise,
forty was unreal,
at fifty I should be wise,
but I'm not,
only been through so many things.
Nothing's ever paid off and that stings.
Never got a job to ease my later years.
Never found a woman to calm my fears
of a growing inadequacy
in a world that demands
servitude to a pace
rapidly changing where it stands.
Tomorrow I'm fifty, today I say farewell
to the years of my youth, I lived so well,
so evil, so wicked and yet so pure.
Overcoming without help most every fear.
Now almost fifty, monumental like I said,
I died a dozen times but I'm still not dead.
Lived in nice houses, shacks and behind jail bars.
Made my share of money, driven nice cars,
fathered beautiful children
still shooting for the stars.
Fought in a war and dabbled in the arts.
Stood at the pulpit, broke a few hearts.
Seen some things nobody should see
yet still I marvel
when the sun touches the sea.
Soon to be fifty and still can't define
the god I saw once only a inch from my mind.
The meaning of it all, I'm sure of this
but just out of reach like a lover you miss,
so close you can feel her kiss
but when you open your eyes
she fades into the mist,
where dreams like past years
cease to exist.
by Dave
(I wrote this 13 years ago)
I hope since then you have made many wonderful memories. This is an incredible honest poem of your life and I loved it!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. Yes, many new wonderful and not so wonderful memories but I still marvel I've made it this far.
ReplyDeleteA familiar song, my friend. Life is a journey. We got a ways to go yet. Love the poem!
ReplyDeleteawesome!
ReplyDelete