Monday, May 30, 2011


Drought

A baby is born.
A tear comes to eye.
When this one’s my age
the world will be dry

yet swollen seas
pound mountain shores.
Great cities will lie
on ocean floors.

The greedy refined
will run rampant then.
For a glass of water
they’ll kill a friend.

Corpses in the surf.
Decay everywhere.
At the foot of an angel
I grimace and stare.


Roses 

Roses and memories
of smooth inner thighs
parting with promises
misunderstood.

Velvety petals
wind caught and gone.
Leaving a fragrance 
of something lost.

Thorny spines 
grabbed in haste. 
Pain and flowing
rose bloody red.


The Traveler

It’s always best
to shed the weight
of doubts induced
accumulate

and inflate
the laden pack,
bending the straight
and rigid back,

brittle with age,
hardened by fire,
miles to go
must not tire

blistered feet
on a dusty road
where time is worth
more than gold.


Freedom

I held freedom
in my hand,
like a glowing orb
it shone,
in the middle 
of nowhere
I stood alone.

Now what? I wondered 
and the orb vanished
when I took a step
then reappeared
when I stepped back.

I was finally free
but hungry, cold,
forgotten and alone
and all that time
the orb brightly shone.


by Dave






5 comments:

  1. awesome, amazing collections of expressions.
    profound words.
    welcome to JP.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All unique in it's own context...superb and lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good poems saying what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each poem conveys an entirely different message, which is wonderful

    Drought is raw and gritty and I love the concept of how greed and selfishness are depleting and destroying the world

    I love how you used the rose to symbolism the pain of lost love

    In freedom I get the sense that in being alone we may have more freedom to live as we choose but we are not happier necessarily, you bring such a sense of loneliness and emptiness

    Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great stuff here, Dave. Very insightful and mostly right spankin on! Keep lettin em rip, bro!

    ReplyDelete